Saturday, October 1, 2011

Today's post is brought to you by...

...the letter 'L'.


But I'm getting a little ahead of myself.   I had made small quilts/play mats for my two nieces in Australia back in July, each with their initial (A and E).  Sadly, I was in such a rush to get the quilts done and to pack that I completely forgot to take any photos.  I really have to ask my sibs to send me some.  

Anyway, I recently made another small quilt for my nephew (son of The Boy's little brother and his wife).  This time I got wise and took some photos as I went along.  That was partly to document the process and partly to work on my photography skills.  The mad photography skillz that I've seen on other crafting/quilting blogs blow mine completely out of the water but I know we all have to start somewhere. 

But back to the quilt.  What started as this:



Soon became this:



Which, in its entirety looks like this:

The front


And also like this:

The back

As you can see, I ran out of the pale blue Kona and had to add a strip of white Kona to make the backing.  I like the two tones and the strip of colour, myself.  The photo's don't really do the colours justice (which is why I need to practice!) and I really should become better friends with my iron.

The Boy picked up a few books for little L at the comic book store to send out with the quilt.  Hopefully the little guy (and his parents!) will like it and I really hope L gets good use out of it.  I like to think that the quilts I make for little people are being dragged around and loved, curled up under and worn as capes.  The more they're scrunched, the softer they get, and who doesn't love a nice, soft quilt?


3 comments:

Anna said...

What a gorgeous quilt, I love the colours and the white stripe gives it that extra 'ce ne se qua!'.

Unknown said...

I think you did a GREAT job! I sure couldn't do it. Maybe L is for "lacking" as in sewing abilities? ;)

www.denysedar.com
Your life is a work of art!

The Happy Ranter said...

Thanks, ladies! Every quilt is a learning process so if I'm always learning something new, I figure I'm doing alright :)